Dear Sophia -
Last week was a new milestone for the both of us, you had your first time-out.
It started off like any other dinner, except that Daddy was on a bike ride. We were eating happily together when you threw a piece of food. I asked you nicely to stop, then you threw another piece while giggling. I used my stern voice (that usually makes you say "ok, hug me") to tell you again not to throw your food but you didn't listen. As soon as I saw that piece of shredded cheese fly threw the air I knew it was time. I hadn't planned out where your time-out would be if and when a time-out was in order but I quickly flung into action, picking you up, telling you that you were going into time out and putting you on the sweet little rocking chair that your Aunt Essie had handed down to you. You screamed and cried for what seemed like 10 minutes (it was really about a minute and a half). After the time was up I walked up to you and told you again that you are not allowed to throw food and told you to reapeat, "no throwing food".
I was very pleased with my parenting when I told you that you now needed to pick up the food that you threw when you started to hit me! My mind started racing, you had never hit me before, had I let the fire loose in you? Had a pushed you too far? Was my baby angel gone? All I could do was to tell you no hitting and put you back in time-out!
Luckly after this time-out you did pick up your food and after only about a minute we were back to being best friends.
I felt a lot of guilt about putting you in time-out, I talked to your Daddy and your Aunt Stacy and they both said it was time and you were smart enough to get it. I am happy to report that I have not had to put you in time-out since, and I'm hoping when the time comes your daddy will be here to do it!
No comments:
Post a Comment