Tuesday, February 5, 2013

baby wise

Dear Sophia and Charlie -

It's 1:30, and in this house that means nap time.  As much as I love being with you, I cherish nap time! It's my time to get things done, or do nothing at all.  Right now I can hear you, Charlie, upstairs saying "gagagagagag" and I can hear you, Soph, reading one of the dozen of books in your crib (yes, at almost 3 1/2 you are still in a crib).  If it weren't for a little book called "Baby Wise" by Gary Ezzo and loving (yet assertive) sisters in law and mother in law, right now I would be rocking a very sleepy crying baby while bargaining with a 3 year old to please go to sleep!

When I first had you Soph, I wouldn't put you down.  I held you while you slept, and although it was great bonding time, I was exhausted.  When Nancy (your Grandmother) first told me to lay you down for naps, even if you cried a little, get you on a good schedule of eat, play, sleep and gave me the Baby Wise book, my life changed in a week.  Sure it was a hard week (who wants to hear their baby cry) but I was amazed how quickly you got on a schedule.  My life has forever been easier and better because of it.  It has made me a better mother because both of you can sooth yourselves, know what everyday holds because you are on a schedule, and you have a happy, rested mother.


No comments:

Post a Comment